Location: Hvolsvöllur, Iceland
Program: Exhibition and Visitor Center
Located just 100 km east of Reykjavík at Hvolsvöllur, the new Lava Centre sits between five of Iceland's greatest volcanos. The main exhibition of the Centre reveals the epic forces of nature that shape our planet and created Iceland. In addition visitors get a crash-course in Volcanology while experiencing the extreme forces associated with volcanic eruptions and earthquakes.
How was Iceland created? What causes the earth to shake? Which types of volcanoes are there and how can I "read the landscape"? These are just few of the questions people get answers to, and all through immersive experiences and tangible interaction.
Design team: Ari Þorleifsson, Dagbjört Ásta Jónsdóttir, Einar Hlér Einarsson, Marcos Zotes
Architecture design: Basalt Architects
Exhibition design: Basalt Architects and Gagarín
Scenography: Basalt Architects
Interactive media: Gagarín
Manuscript: Ari Trausti Guðmundsson
Lighting design: Liska
Construction of exhibits: Irma Studio
- SEGD Global Design Awards 2018 - Honor Award "Exhibition Design"
- European Design Awards 2018 - Silver Medal "Digital Installations"
- Core77 Design Awards - Notable Honor in "Design Education Initiative"
- Reykjavik Grapevine Design Awards 2018 "Project of the Year"
- Icelandic Lighting Design Awards 2018 - First Prize "Interior Lighting"
- MUSE Awards 2018 - Silver Medal "Interpretive Interactive Installations"
- FIT Awards 2018. Grand prize "Best of Show", Information Design Award
and Interactive Design Award